Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Candy Cane Christmas Cookies

My absolute favorite holiday cookies.
I like making them almost as much as I enjoy eating them — mostly because the dough is yummy, but twisting the canes up is also a joy. And aren't the holidays all about joy? And cookies?

Ingredients:

  • 1c. shortening (or 1/2 C. butter, 1/2 C. Margarine)
  • 1c. sifted powder sugar
  • 1tsp. salt
  • 2 1/2 c. sifted flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together dry ingredients first, then add shortening, egg (scrambled), extract and vanilla. Next, divide dough in halves. Add red food coloring to one half until it is RED, NOT PINK! I suppose you can really use any color you like, but I like traditional red and white candy canes.

Next is the fun part. Roll little cylinders of dough, about 4 inches long and as thick as you like. Then twist red and white strands together and shape into little canes. Place canes on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in oven at 375F for about 8 minutes. CAREFUL: 8 minutes is too long in some ovens. Keep a close watch and pull cookies out as soon as any browning is detected. Yields 4 dozen.
I have to credit my grandma for this recipe, although I'm not sure where she found it originally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the color combination on your candy cane cookies...